Saturday, June 4, 2011

Illinois Vacation Day Three

I thought this was going to be a boring blog today. It was errand and prep day for the reception tomorrow. The most exciting part was making dinner for the family and having extra large flames in the oven.


However, when the sun went down, the freaks came out. OK, not really freaks but my freaky family. We had an absolute blast. The best part of the evening, was the locusts.


This is the year of the locusts. According to my brother Mike, they only come out every 13 years to mate. They crawl out of a hole in the ground, shed their exoskeleton and fly around making this really loud screechy sound. They mate, and then crawl back into the hole and go dormant for 13 years. When we were driving we heard them but didn’t know what we were hearing at the time.


Apparently, my three sisters are afraid of them. That was just funny to me. So I got up and flicked one away from Angi. It screeched as it flew away. Seriously. It was great. Suddenly they were everywhere. The girls threatened me because I wanted to pick them up. They aren’t scary. They are kind of neat. Cheri ended up going inside because they were inescapable. A few seconds later she ran back outside with one on her arm screaming my name. My brother Chris was there so she was saved by her husband. It was so comical.


So I spent the evening laughing and talking, and getting accused of breaking wind by someone who shall remain nameless but it sounds like Debbie Fontaine! It was a great evening and we went to bed with sore abs from all the laughing. Reception is tomorrow! More to come.


Quote of the Day

Cheri and Angi talking about age. Cheri gave her age and we were surprised. She meant to say, “I may act young.” Instead she said, “I may act stupid, but I don’t look it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment