Saturday, June 4, 2011

Illinois Vacation Day Two

So yesterday was eventful. We only had a little ways to go, about 6 hours, before we arrived in Central City / Centralia, IL. However, the day included a new chapter in the Rest Area Saga.


At noon, we began looking for a rest area for our lunch stop. The first one came up as we neared the Kentucky / Illinois border. As we were looking for it, we realized that the area was actually up on the exit.... that we were passing. Strike one. Since we were nearing the border, we figured there would be a Welcome Center in a few miles and we were now wise to the “Rest Area at the Exit” trick.


The next one was the last rest area for 47 miles. As we veered onto the exit, we saw a small sign under the Rest Area sign. It said, “Rest Area Closed.” Too late. We were already off the exit. Strike two.


Fortunately, we were in Metropolis. No seriously, we were in Metropolis Illinois. So Mom turned right because now I was in need of a stop for more than just lunch. The first gas station... closed. Strike three.


We turned around and saw a BP over the bridge. Relief at last. This was the Superman BP. Of course we took pics which will be up when I figure out how to get them off the camera. There was Superman souvenirs and Superhero themed restrooms. I headed into the Wonder Woman’s room. (LOL) The VERY nice lady at the check out counter told me there was a park a little ways up so we got lunch before 3:00.


Make sure you read my next entry so you can see my traveling awards. If you are traveling this summer, it might help you!


We arrived at my brother’s house in one piece. It was great to see everyone. They have a crazy dog named Jersey (see my pics later). Jersey is a lab puppy. You’ll have to look at the picture to see the size of this dog. I was actually afraid to open my door when we arrived. Rightly so. When I did, the monster climbed up into my lap in the driver’s seat of the van and tried to drool me to death. Jersey is an ankle biter who tries to eat the shoes off your feet. She is so stinkin’ cute but so stinkin’ annoying all at the same time. Last night we were sitting on the porch when Jersey came up and snatched a plant right out of the pot. I thought my sister-in-law Debbie would kill her. They also have an older rat terrier named Spike. Spike does not like the menace of a puppy who is 4-5 times his size. The puppy can fit Spike’s back in her mouth. I literally saw her do it this morning.


I met my grand niece (yes I said grand niece or is it great niece?). Anyway, she is 11 months old and adorable. I stole her from her daddy and refused to give her back for a while. I also saw my other adorable grand niece, Addison. Addison is amazing. If you want the whole story about Addy you will have to call me. It’s too much to explain in a blog and I don’t think I can do her justice. Let’s just say she is a very special little girl.


Ok so after driving and fending off a puppy drool attack and meeting the nieces and their guys along with the kiddos, we went shopping with Debbie. KFC for dinner. Maurices for clothes. Walmart for supplies. Then we came home and showered and time for bed.


Quotes of the Day:

Alex: “There are a BUNCH of people outside. There is a pair of guys outside waxing their car.”


Alex: “Autumn, I get the seat with more leg room because I have more legs.”


Autumn: (In the hotel) “Why would I call them for a wake up call. It’s so stupid. If I’m calling then I’m obviously already awake!”


No comments:

Post a Comment